"Personally this was one of the greatest experiences I have ever been through, and all our colleagues [at A&O] who I met in Ghana during the challenge feel equally the same. Not only was this a great way for A&O's people to engage directly with AfriKids as a visible show of support, but it also more widely was a way to engage with the firm's CSR objectives."
Maurice Simon, Allen & Overy
Catherine Husted on Experience Challenge Download
Jacky Williams on Experience Challenge Download
The Experience Challenge
If you're looking for a truly unique experience of a lifetime, you've come to the right place. AfriKids' ground-breaking 'Experience Challenge' is a once in a lifetime opportunity to live alongside a family in their compound home in rural northern Ghana, one of the poorest parts of the world. Over the course of a week you'll become immersed in community life, witnessing the innovative and inspiring ways local people work to overcome the everyday challenges they face as individuals, as families and as communities.
At AfriKids we pride ourselves on the level of feedback our supporters receive directly from Ghana. Equally, we're passionate about uniting our supporters with our projects and the individuals and communities we work with; we believe that this is really the only way to fully understand the unique nature of our work and the impact of the invaluable support we receive from people like you.
The Experience Challenge takes our accountability and transparency philosophy to an entirely new level, enabling you to literally live and breathe the lives of people AfriKids Ghana work with. Not only will you witness the breadth, depth and scale of AfriKids Ghana's work through project visits and interactions with project staff and beneficaries, you'll see how our community development and capacity building work filters through to the thousands of communities in the Upper East Region, and how the society and economy of this region is transforming as a result.
Who can go?
The Experience Challenge is open to practically anyone and everyone; school and university students, individuals, business teams - the list is endless as the challenge can be specifically tailored to different groups in a number of ways. We took our first two families to Ghana in October 2012 which was a huge success! Please get in touch to discuss how the Experience can work for you.
What are the dates?
The challenge takes place each November however, if a group of 10 or more are keen to take part we can arrange a trip at a time of year to suit your availability.
What is the itinerary?
- Arrive in Accra and travel to a local hotel where you'll spend the first night
- Fly to Tamale and travel to the AfriKids Head Office in Bolgatanga
- Attend a welcome meeting with AfriKids Ghana staff
- Visit a number of AfriKids' ground-breaking child rights projects, including the AfriKids Medical Centre, Mama Laadi's Foster Home and the Next Generation Home
- Attend a final briefing session
- Spend the night in the grounds of one of AfriKids' projects
Day 3, 4 & 5
- Wake early on day three to travel to your host family's compound. Spend three days and nights living their lives
- Attend a debrief session with your host family and AfriKids Ghana staff
- Take part in a team activity in the community you stayed in to thank them for welcoming you
- Visit more AfriKids projects or visit the local craft market in Bolgatanga
- Travel to Accra
- Experience the sights and sounds of the capital or relax by the pool
- Land in the UK
What are the costs?
It costs approximately £600 to take part in the Experience Challenge. This includes all domestic travel, your visa, accommodation and meals. Your international flight, vaccination and insurance costs are not included. We're completely transparent with what the trip costs include; to see a full cost breakdown please get in touch.
We ask for a £300 deposit upon registration to secure your place. The final total cost per person depends on the number that sign up to any one trip and payment of the balance is due after you return from Ghana and total trip costs have been confirmed. The final balance due will never exceed £500.
We don't want trip costs to be a barrier to taking part and we'll do whatever we can to help you come up with a manageable and affordable payment plan.
How much do I need to fundraise?
The minimum fundraising target per person is £1,000. The challenge begins as soon as you sign up and we'll support you throughout, ensuring you have all the help and resources you need to meet the target. Once you register we'll send you a fundraising pack which includes all the guidance you need to begin fundraising; we'll then arrange a call or meeting with you to discuss your fundraising plan.
Before you leave for Ghana we'll tell you which project your fundraising will be directed to and will ensure that whilst in Ghana, you spend plenty of time getting to know that project, the individuals it supports and the impact it's having.
I want to take part? What next?
- Please get in touch with Katie (details below) to discuss the next trip dates and availability. She can send you a copy of the Challenge Registration Form and Terms & Conditions.
- Working with businesses
- The Experience Challenge is an innovative platform on which employees and teams can directly engage with your business’s human resource / CSR objectives and strategies as well as, on a higher level, your organisation’s values and ethos. The shared emotional experience of being directly united with children and families AfriKids works with acts as a powerful tool for engaging the hearts and minds of staff, fuelling their passion, enthusiasm and belief in your company, and AfriKids' work.
- The Experience Challenge can be tailored to suit a variety of business or team objectives, whether that be:
· Learning Development
· Team building
· Exposure to microfinance
· Or simply supporting employee fundraising
If you’d like to find out more about the Experience for your business or team please get in touch. You can read more about the HR benefits here.
Who should I speak to
To ask a question or simply find out more about the challenge please contact Katie Arnold at email@example.com or on +44 (0) 207 269 0750.